Looking to improve your health this year? It doesn’t always have to be hard. A subtle change in your habits can go a long way, both for you and your kids. One of them is standing more with one of the stand-up desks while doing computer work at home. According to health experts, spending all day in a seated position has a dramatic negative effect on your health. Because I experienced it myself, and so did many of my clients and friends I am a big fan of using one of the stand-up desks. In this post, I talk about some of the benefits of standing desks and how to pick the perfect standing desk that fits your style and budget.
Health Benefits of Stand-Up Desks. Lose Weight While Doing Computer Work
Sitting for a long period of time is bad for you. It leads to obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. On the contrary, the research also shows that stand-up desks neutralize back pain, increase core strength, improve heart health, and enhance your focus.
In addition, standing desks allow you to burn more calories than you would while sitting, and they can also help to reduce the risk of shoulder and back pain. Another perk: standing at your desk for ten minutes after meals help to improve blood sugar levels (which boosts your energy level and promotes better metabolism)
A study in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine shows that you can reduce your risk of early death by standing up every 30 minutes.
Real People, Real Improvements Thanks to Stand Up Desks
1. Linda Haile is a college professor in Florida. With online classes and many papers and tests to grade, she spends a great deal of time at her desk. Switching from a traditional desk to a standing desk helped improve her health, energy levels, and muscle health. “Sitting for long periods seven days a week caused my hip flexors to tighten which caused me pain when I ran or did yoga. It also led to lower back pain. After switching to a standing desk, my legs and lower back felt much better. Switching to a stand-up desk also gave me bursts of energy!”
2. Joan D. is an avid reader of online newspapers, often reading for hours at her desk. She feels healthier and happier after switching to a standing desk. “I feel better in the evenings since I no longer spend all day long sitting. I much prefer to switch between sitting and standing with a standing desk.”
3. Holly Phillips, MD, an internist in New York City, says “Standing desks foster more movement during the workweek, which can help counteract a sedentary lifestyle. When I work at my standing desk at home, I feel like I’ve got twice the energy as I do when working at the traditional seated desk in my office.”
4. Siobhan DeRemer, Prevention Magazine’s copy editor, and fellow stand-up desk user say, “I’m so much more likely to move—randomly do knee bends, go take a walk around the halls—when I have the standing desk set up than when I’m sitting.”
Features for a Stand-Up Desk:
• Adjustable height- you can adjust your preferred height for your desired eye level.
• Fingerprint-resistant surface- no need to wipe it down every time you work at the desk. If you have kids that will use it, this one is golden.
• A programmable keypad controls the leg system.
• Non-glare top surface- you will avoid headaches associated with glare.
• Rear compartments with a place for rechargeable electronics- so that the desk’s top surface can remain clear.
• Micro-etched glass top that does not require a mouse pad- so you can enjoy a clutter-free surface.
• Magnetic panels conceal cords and wires, which is a big plus to me, I hate clutter.
• Easy, tool-free installation- my favorite!
Top Stand- Up Desk Picks:
Ultimately, I would like you to balance standing and sitting when you work. After you review my top picks and the best features, pick the perfect style of standing desk that fits your style and budget. Start improving your health by setting a schedule to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day. Set a timer to stand up every 30 or 60 minutes. Keyword: standing desk, stand up desks SEO Headline: An Interior Designer’s Guide to Stand up desks. Description: Research shows that a subtle change in your habits, while you work, can go a long way to improve your health – standing more with one of the stand-up desks! Here are my top recommendations for improving your health with a standing desk.
Please post your questions here below. I’ll be happy to help you!