Quality extra long curtains and drapes were hard to find. Finally, some wise manufacturers recognized a huge market for them.
Yay! Life-savers! Except, many people still make expensive mistakes when ordering online. Even if you spend less than a hundred dollars, it’s a lot of money to waste, right? Firstly, you don’t want to pick the wrong fabric that looks totally different on a large window than a pretty little sample. Moreover, if you get the wrong width of the window curtains they become useless. And you don’t want to order a pole or a rod and then drag it to UPS in your brother’s truck because it doesn’t fit in your car. So, just read this before you spend your money.
Luckily for you, I’m giving away some sources for online shopping for long (and regular length) curtains and drapes.
You’ll also get my two cents on how to avoid a sad panda situation when they arrive and you hate them. Oh, no 🙂
Here are some questions before you buy extra-long curtains:
- Are they wide enough to open and close?
- How easy is it to slide them along the pole?
- Is there a lining in place that is thick enough to enhance the look?
- How do the curtains look from the outside?
Here are some designs of simple long window curtains that I like:
The above extra long curtains are full, luxurious and easy to open and close. They will maintain some soft folds when closed for privacy. The length is slightly longer forming the break on the floor for a more traditional look. But for a family room with kids, dogs, etc, you’d want the length to be one inch off the floor for long draperies or curtains so that cleaning is easier.
Here are some of the extra-long window curtains examples that are a “NO” to me.
The fabric is pretty but this pattern is too busy for a more traditional ambiance of the room. There is not enough width for the length of the curtains and the windows.
It’s a similar situation to the curtains above. They are flat when opened because there is not enough fabric width. It should have been at least doubled the amount of fabric. I’m not sure if there is a lining, but it looks that there is none. The sections of the wall between the windows create unnecessary visible shadows. I call them CURTAIN GHOSTS.
Tip: You’ll need at least double window width for your curtains to maintain some folds when they are closed. Extra-long curtains take a lot of visual space. Be careful when selecting a pattern. A lining makes the draperies look more elegant and richer. If you want to avoid lining, chose the fabric that is heavier, such as velvet so that less light goes through. If you are not sure about the calculations, ask the online store, refer to numerous Pinterest tutorials on calculating the yardage or even go to my post A Guide on How to Calculate Yardage for Curtains
Here are some sources for online extra long window curtains:
- Regal Drapes An online store for custom draperies of any size. The company promises a very quick turn around time (3-7 business days or less). You choose from 12 header styles and over 1000 designer fabrics, such as Robert Allen and Kravet. All the curtains are made locally. The company states that all of their drapes are hung and tested prior to shipment. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. You can order yourself. No need for a designer but I’d advise you to consult with one of the colors and patterns.
Eastern Accents – A go-to source for designers. They have many options of coordinating bedding, pillows, and drapes. NICHE collection has a lower price point. The workmanship is very good as well as customer service. I worked with them a lot and I was never disappointed. You can buy them through Wayfair or ask a designer (such as yours truly).
Here are some of my favorites from Eastern Accents:
Ambiance Trevira Sheer Curtains come in six pretty and livable shades and three designs. Because the fabric is unique Trevira® CS yarns, these sheer curtains are machine washable (yay!) and inherently flame-retardant. Panels are available in four standard lengths and feature extra-wide widths as well. Custom sizes are also available. If you want your curtains to open and close go for a pinch pleat or a flat panel. Besides, a pinch pleat will always look more tailored.
Box pleated or inverted header is elegant since it looks very tailored. If you are looking for a more formal look or want to show off the pattern they are your good choice.
3. Emdee International – since they work with trade only, you need a designer to place an order for you. ORDER. They have several lifestyle options. My favorite drapes are washable Belgian Linen drapes. Custom and semi-custom draperies are available as well as any header options, pinch pleat, inverted pleat, box pleat, etc. Obviously, if you want to see which kind of pleats you like, have a look here.
4. Curtainworks – an online store for regular length as well as extra long curtains. It’s hard not to trust them since they have really good reviews. The maximum length is 144 inches. Curtains come in several pleat styles at very reasonable prices.
Okay, we just scratched the surface of many options for extra long curtains. Of course, nothing makes me happier than answering your questions and dilemma. So, please do post your room pictures and questions. If you want me to help your order some window treatments and drapes I’m here to serve you.
Please post your questions here below. I’ll be happy to help you!