Have you ever been to a dinner party where everyone needs to get up to let you out of the dining table? If you are an extreme extravert, I guess it is okay to be a center of attention. But some people hate that and sit till the last minute so that they don’t disturb the guests. That’s why it always makes more sense to measure a dining room before you buy any furniture to make sure it fits with enough space to circulate.
Measuring the room for dining room furniture before you buy the furniture
It is easy to figure out the correct size of the dining room furniture to avoid being squished or embarrassed.
How to measure for the table and chairs?
Tip: One of the most effective ways to visualize is to make newspaper cutouts and place them on the floor.
Step-by-step measuring Guide:
- Measure your dining room length and width.
- Find the center of the room for the center of the dining table.
- Measure for the depth from the center for the dining room table. Standard sizes for the depth are 36 inches, 40 inches, 42 inches, and 46 inches. It is 18, 20, 21 or 23 inches on each side from the center.
- Measure for the width (length) from the center for the dining room table. Standard width is 60 inches, 68 inches, 72 inches, 76 inches, and 78 inches. It is 30, 34, 36 and 38 on each side.
- Add at least 48 inches for each chair around the table for access and circulation.
- If you still have room for a bigger table, add leaves. Standard leaf sizes are 18 inches, 20 inches, and 22 inches.
Determine how many people do you want to seat at a time?
- If you want to seat 8 to 12 people, the dining chairs should be smaller in width, between 18 to 22 inches with no arms. Allow 24 inches width for each person.
- Use two slightly larger chairs for the host and hostess
Practical tips on buying dining room furniture
Table base and dining chairs
Ever noticed that online images of dining tables are shot from below? That is because the dining table manufacturers want to show off the table base. Guess, what? You won’t see much if the base when the chairs are around the table.
So you can easily save money if you buy a table with a simple base and invest money on better dining chairs instead.
Dining table leaves
If you have enough space for the leaves, always choose the table with leaves option over the solid tabletop. Also, make sure that the leaves mechanism is easy to operate.
Of course, if you have a decorating dilemma, this is a good time to post your questions here below. I’ll be happy to help you!