Last year I helped my friend set up her outdoor living room with furniture, accessories, cool cotton pillows and beautiful candles. I grouped multicolor candles around the fireplace to recreate full living room experience. We had some fun with flowers and accessories. To create general lighting we used many oversized lanterns. This year she wanted more functional lighting, such as step lighting and path lighting.
Path and Step Lighting Dos and Don’ts
Ask any lighting designer and he will tell you that any lighting design starts with safety lighting. Good news is that you don’t have to be a lighting designer to make sure that your guests are safe at night. With the abundance of lighting choices you can select fixtures that are safe by their construction. My word of advice: don’t use the step or path lights that create a tripping hazard. For example, some outdoor lighting is vertical in ground fixtures with design that extends out or lamps that have wires to be plugged in the wall. This can be dangerous, especially for people that are older as well as young children. A good solution is a flash mount step lights.
1. LED Step Light by CSL Lighting I like the small and sleek design of the step lights as they extend only .7” off the wall. At the same time, the light is enough and sufficient for comfort of you and your guests.
2. Led Step & Wall Lights by WAC Lighting This lighting design not only is flush but also almost eliminates glare. That is a great feature for people that are older. The light beam spread is very wide, so that maximum of the surface is lit
Outdoor Accent or Mood Lighting
For accent or mood lighting I like lighting design that is minimal with high functionality. If you want minimalistic look where the light source is sleek, here is an example of new, contemporary lighting design that is both functional and beautiful.
3. Halley Floor-to-Clamp Outdoor Floor Lamp It lights up the night like a futuristic comet: The beam of light arches through the air and creates magic.
4. Havana Outdoor Pendant Lamp by Foscarini No wonder that Havana outdoor lamp is selected by the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York for its permanent design collection. It is perfect to be installed right on a tree branch.
5. Round Planter by Rotoluxe Clean, contemporary look and style to the world that is also environmentally friendly. They use low watt CFL/LED lighting to give off the signature Rotoluxe ambient glow.
We would like to hear from you about your outdoor lighting or lighting design questions. Please let us know what you think. If you like this article, please share it with your family and friends to make their lighting design better and safer.